Monday 23 March 2015

Making my 18th Century 'Macaroni' wig

WIG MAKING: ATTEMPT ONE


 1.) To begin, I made a wire mesh at a height of 30cm.



2.) I covered the top in wadding to create a curved structure.



3.) I bought a wig with my desired colour and placed on a head block, spreading the hair around evenly.



4.) I sewed the wire mesh to the crown of the wig (with difficulty!) and checked it was balanced.



5.) I began lifting the hair up and pinning in place at the top, with kirby grips and lots of hairspray.



6.) I continued with this so that the mesh could not be seen (some inner layers I back combed).



7.) To neaten and cover the base of the wig I pinned and hairsprayed hair extensions from the top and sewed down at the base of the wig.




8.) With the shorter fringe of the wig, I twisted into curls, hair sprayed and pinned into place.




9.) I tried the wig on to make sure the balance was correct. I'm not completely happy with the shape and although the wig fits, I feel that the balance wasn't quite right.



10.) As you can see, the shape goes straight up. I think I would be able to achieve a better shape if I made the wig half the height and used a felt hat with extensions instead of the original wig. ROUND TWO!

WIG MAKING: ATTEMPT TWO 


1.) As my budget was tight I bought a hat from a charity shop to use as a base. I tested it on my model for size and he felt it would be very secure.



2.) I cut away the brim and bow and began with this shape to add my structure to.



3.) I took apart my first wig and cut the wire mesh down to 20cm. I then placed the mesh onto the hat base to check the angle.



4.) I separated the wadding down to one layer thin and placed around the top of the wire mesh (mesh was now sharp at the top from cutting) this would cover sharp parts and also give me something for the kirby grips to grip. As sewing the wire mesh to the wig didn't really work, I decided to use a glue gun instead. This is sort of cheating, but it needed to be extremely secure and as the needle was hard to get through the small squares in the mesh, this was the best way to get it attached whilst staying straight and secure.



5.) Instead of using the wig, I used hair extensions and cut them up so that the layers were thinner. I then sewed them to my base using strong thread and a blanket stitch.



6.) I continued around the rest of the base and hairsprayed as I went.



7.) At the front, to create and interesting shape, I backcombed the sewed on hair and sprayed lots of hairspray.



8.) When I was happy with the amount of backcombed hair, I sewed a series of hair extensions to the inside of the base (so that the stitching couldn't be seen from the outside).



9.) I then sewed more layers in order to cover all the backcombed hair.



10.) With lots of combing and hairspray, I then pulled the extensions over the backcombed hair and pinned at the top.



11.) I then continued with the other extensions so that none of the hair underneath could be seen and smoothed out with a comb and hairspray.



12.) To check the balance and how the wig covered my own hair I tried on the wig and it felt secure and comfortable.



13.) As you can see, a lot of my own hair can be seen at the back and sides so I will add more hair to cover this.



14.) I then sewed on more extensions at each side to cover the visible wire mesh underneath.



15.) To cover the back, I clipped in three hair extensions to the top and let it hang down after hairspraying and pinning.



16.) I checked what the wig would look like once tied into a ponytail and am happy with the look. So I undid the tie and began to curl.



17.) I was nervous at first about using curlers on prosthetic hair so did a tester and found it worked well. So I curled the ends of the long hair and tied at the back with a black velvet ribbon.



18.) I then hand sewed a ribbon loop to each side of the wig before I covered the visible wire mesh in curls. I did this so that the model could place the wig on and pull down on the loops to secure it without touching the wig too much. The loops can the be tucked up into the wig.



19.) I then wanted to add detailing to the top of the wig, as well as cover up the hair extensions at the top. I wrapped hair extensions around different sized objects using much hairspray and left to set.



20.) The curls were then pinned to the top of the wig and hairsprayed.



21.) I tested the look of the wig by trying it on and am happy with the shape and style. I will add many more curls.



22.) Side profile shows that my own hair can still be seen. I will be adding more curls to cover this, and perhaps spray my models hair to blend in with the wig. (Usually your own hair would be used as part of the wig but this isn't possible with a pink wig!).


23.) I then added more curls to the top of the wig, and decided to remove the large curl at the front as it began to flop.



24.) I then began to arrange my chosen decorations and secured with hot glue once happy with the positionings. The more the better! 



25.) To begin making the long curls which would be positioned at th sides of the wig, I cut small strips of hair from the wig, and combed to remove any tangles.


26.) I then wrapped the hair around a roll of cling film and hairsprayed as I went. I then set the hairspray by using a hairdryer on a low heat.


27.) Once removed from the roll, the curls keep their shape. I made some longer than others for variety. 


28.) I then used hot glue to secure the long curls into position. I've made extra curls so that I can position them after my next fitting. I can use the curls to obscure and of the models real hair at the sides. 


29.) After positioning the majority of the curls, I continued to add the decorations. I will complete the decorations once a fitting has taken place. 
Final Fitting!
1.) This is my final fitting for my wig. I cut a triangle at the back in order to make my wig larger because in my last fitting, I found that the wig to too small.
 
 
2.) The wig was still wobbly and sat too far on the crown of the head. I added a strip of fabric that reached the nape of the neck, and immediately felt more secure.
 
3.) Side View.
 
 
4.) Back view.
 
 
5.) As you can see, it just needs a strip of fabric adding, which I will do, and then cover with more curls.
 
 
6.) Close up! A few more curls and I'm finished!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment